Simple Blogging Inspiration Techniques
Blogging on a regular basis requires constant research for new topics to cover. In order to search for new material you need to know what to search for in the first place. Thus
you need blogging inspiration as a prerequisite for creating blog content.
I want to introduce to you simple blogging inspiration techniques I use regularly. I always have a surplus of blogging ideas.
1. Analyze your referers and landing pages with analytics tools. I use tools like
to find out how people are reaching my site. All of the three services have free versions for starters.
2. Check Twitter trends. You can do it quickly using an advanced search interface like the one TweetDeck has or simply by checking out Twitter’s own trends they display on Twitter.com by default.
3. Just browse your favorite blogs. I start my day with browsing all kinds of blogs which are often just slightly relevant to what I blog about. Nonetheless I often get inspired or can spot a new trend.
Whenever I look specifically I use Feedly where I have a special tab for blogs about a single topic, architecture, self improvement or space exploration blogs.
4. Venture outside the Web. Go for a walk, take a shower or read a magazine. The Web bombards you with information and makes you think very quickly.
You can not focus long enough on any one single thought to get inspired. Paradoxically you need to go offline to blog better. Often on the way you’ll find the necessary ideas too.
5. Interact with someone, even virtually. You need some idle chatter like you need something to eat and drink.
Even the least important news can be inspiring, so the occasional tweet about eating habits is not just a waste of time.
6. Check your existing posts. Look up what you have written a week, a month or a year ago. Then follow up, update or change your mind. That’s often enough inspiration for a week.
7. Do something random. Do something completely out of place each day. Type with your left hand instead of your right, eat a Pizza instead of a sandwich.
Do some work out on the roof (but not if you work out there daily).
Your brain has to adapt to the new situation and will create new synaptic connections. These connections will also allow a new flow of information inside your head.
What kind of simple inspirational technique do you use each day for blogging inspiration or just for fun? Tell me. I sometimes ask questions to get inspired too! ;-)
Originally published: May 5th, 2009. Overhauled, republished April 26th, 2016. Last updated: June 24th, 2017.