Wall Street Down, SEO Up: 7 Reasons Why
Don’t read the papers first thing in the morning! Usually they ruin your day! Remember when Wall Street broke down and spawned the financial crisis?
Banks crumbled and corporate capitalism turned to “state capitalism” as capitalism seemingly only works as long it’s subsidized by the state in most cases.
All of this talk about slow economy etc. has been around for a while. It hasn’t slowed down one part of the world economy though:
yes – right – the search engine optimization industry or more broadly the search marketing business didn’t get affected by major economic upheavals.
Demand has been steady or even growing over the years.
It will stay that way. I will tell you why: here are 7 reasons why what’s bad for Wall Street is good for SEO:
1. Most SEO companies’ shares do not get traded on Wall Street. The SEO business is not run by huge corporations. ;-)
2. When the economy ails most companies end up having less money for ads. As most people don’t click on these annoying ads. Businesses rather invest in organic reach then.
Ads are more expensive than organic campaigns because you have to always pay. When you improve your site, content and relations you do it for good and benefit for years.
3. People don’t click on newspaper and magazine ads! They pay less for them. It means fewer newspapers and magazines.
That’s also more Internet business as people turn to the Web when seeking news. What do the news websites need? Organic reach?
4. When big businesses fail the people who worked there do not disappear! They may end up self-employed but the smarter ones start their own businesses.
Nowadays eventually many of them start Internet businesses (in fact in the 21st century it’s a real trend ;-). These people need what? Yes, they need some Google traffic for their sites.
5. When businesses fail people still have to eat, buy clothing and other things they need. These people also have less money.
Consumers turn to the Internet to check out all those pesky shopping search engines those evil search engine optimizers have set up.
6. Finally some Americans might consider not taking the car to WalMart to buy products Made in China due to still higher gas prices or empty pockets.
They might research the Web for someone who delivers groceries and other stuff to their doorsteps.
Those delivery services won’t be all in China! They rather will be from the US. What will those delivery services need?
Websites! Competitive websites! Hey Frank, our Web designer tells me we need this “SEO” thing. We need someone to help us!
7. Some of you might argue that all the unemployed bankers and former insurance agents now turn to the Web to find self-employment as “SEO experts”.
Yes, this might be true, it’s also true though that you won’t end up as an expert over night being able to do SEO for highly competitive markets.
Who you gonna call? Web developers? No, you will call the long standing SEO specialists who do not only claim to be experts but are acclaimed as such.
Heck, I’m so damn optimistic these days. It might be due to the fact that since the fall of the new economy back in 2000 I do not invest in gamble with shares anymore.
Another reason for optimism is that I’m in Germany I guess. Overall I trust the growing demand for SEO services, which no wall or street can stop! it’s virtual. It’s real nonetheless.